In the age of digital nomadism and the desire for other ways of life, many people want to make a living from the Internet so that they can be free to travel and work from anywhere in the world. Influential marketing is growing, generating revenue, including for micro-influencers. If Instagram and Youtube are two platforms playing a central role, the blog remains a tool that makes money, let’s see how.
How much money can you earn with a blog?
A blog is just a platform where someone shares content and establishes a relationship with their readers. From there, there is an infinity of ways to monetize it. With the current tools, we can create a blog easily but monetize it is more complex.
Some require less work to implement, such as advertising, and others more, but generally the economic potential of a blog is usually determined by two aspects, the theme and especially your commitment.
The effort you are ready to make money with a blog
Many professional bloggers have to work a lot, especially in the early years. Holding a blog is not passive at all. The Internet is much more competitive than it was a few years ago. Although the earning potential is greater because people have lost the fear of buying online, it is also harder to be visible.
In other words, today it takes more work to make money, but you can also earn a lot more.
To live on it, you must be ready to sacrifice a large part of your free time, at least in the beginning.
Ways to make money with a blog
Below you will find the most effective ways to monetize a blog. You can often combine several, but the key is to choose the ones that work best for your project.
Monetization with Adsense style advertising remains one of the favorite ways for many bloggers because of its simplicity.
This is Google’s PPC ad network, the largest in the world. PPC means Pay Per Click, which means that every time a reader clicks on one of those ads on your blog, you get paid.
Adsense owes its popularity to its simplicity, ease of implementation, and the number of advertisers. Just sign up here, and once Google has approved your request, you can start posting ads on your blog by inserting a small code.
Google chooses what type of ads will appear on your website based on the subject and profile of the reader. It’s an advantage. Google has a lot of information about your readers and shows them the most relevant ads for each of them.
Revenues you can expect from Adsense
If the average cost per click is 0.30 and the percentage of readers who click on an ad is usually around 1%. Therefore, if you had 1000 page views per day, the calculation of the monthly income with Adsense would be as follows: 30 000 pages viewed / month x 1% of clicks x 0.30 euros -> 90 euros/month
The key to earning a good income with Adsense is to have a blog on a subject that pays very well, such as executive training, finance or health, or a less profitable one but capable of attracting a huge volume of visits.
For a blog, Adsense is a very simple way to earn extra money each month, but it’s probably not what will allow you to live on it.
Summary of Adsense:
- Easy to implement
- The ads are very relevant
- Most blogs are not in niches that Adsense pays well
- You will need a very large number of visits
If you are proactive, something I recommend to you if you want to succeed with your blog, you can contact companies to offer them advertising space in your blog where to place their banner with the ad.
These ads are usually found in the header, sidebar, or in the content itself. Advertisers typically pay by impression at a cost per thousand views (CPM), that is, the number of times that readers viewed this page with advertising.
To find advertisers, you can do two things:
- Connect with companies related to your topic to offer them advertising for their services and products. They will be more likely to access if they are already advertising on Adsense or other sites, so do some research to increase your chances of success.
- Encourage businesses to contact you by creating an “Advertise Here” section on your blog, where they can find a document with your rates, the number of visitors to your blog and a contact form.
In this case, the advertiser does not pay you when the reader clicks on the ad, but when he or she performs an additional action, such as completing a subscription form to receive more information or make a purchase.
Some companies offer their affiliate programs, such as Amazon, and others are integrated on an affiliate platform like Awin or Tradedoubler.
- Register in the affiliate program of this company and wait for the approval of your website.
- Looking for the product you want to promote and get a special link with your affiliate ID.
- You include these links in your blog when you talk about the product in question.
- When a reader clicks on this link, they are redirected to the product’s sales page. If he ends up buying it, you get a commission.
- Once you have reached a minimum commission, the company will credit your account with the money you generated each month.
The amount of the commission depends on the company and the type of product.
On Amazon, you can recommend almost any product you can think of. Amazon’s affiliation consists of recommending products from a specific niche so that your readers or other users click on your recommendations, are sent to Amazon, and buy them.
The downside is that Amazon only assigns your sales within 24 hours of clicking and does not offer very high commissions, as you can see in the table below:
However, its conversion rate is among the highest in the world. Plus, it gives you a commission on everything the customer buys, not just the product you recommended.
Summary on affiliation
- Very effective and easy to implement
- The links are perfectly integrated into the articles
- A lot of competition
- Amazon commissions are weak
The net linking of a site is essential to reference a website. Although Google prohibits the practice in its guidelines, the sale of links has become commonplace among SEO or SEO specialists.
You can easily find Facebook groups in which you can buy, sell or exchange links.
You will sell links only if your blog reaches certain metrics to help refer sites to which they are likely to point links.
Characteristics of the sale of links:
- Requires to achieve significant metrics
- Easy to implement
- Risk to Google
- Good pay according to the metrics.
Sale of physical products in Dropshipping
Selling physical products through your blog is another great way to generate revenue because the margin will be higher than with affiliate or advertising and you will not be limited to the volume of visits you have.
Unless you do drop ship, you will have to take care of the logistics, which implies various constraints in terms of working capital, logistics, etc.
The dropshipping system has become popular, where you collect the order through your website, but you manage it neither stocks nor shipping.
Features of dropshipping
- Good profit margin
- It is relatively easy to create a section on your blog with the online store
- You can automate dropshipping
- You depend on inventory and manufacturing by third parties, and this is not under your control.
Sale of digital products
This is probably the most profitable way to make money with a blog. Minimize commissions, avoid middlemen, and eliminate physical distribution costs. Also, you can make an automatic passive income. Creating your product requires time and dedication, as well as a good sales strategy.
- EBooks: Selling your ebook is a great way to start automating a sales process. Once the system has been written and prepared, you can forget the rest.
- MOOC type training: Surely the most lucrative form of monetization that exists today, because once you have created an online course, each additional unit sold is net profit because your cost, marginal is close to or equal to zero.
- Allows to set high prices
- The process can be 100% automated.
- Anyone can create digital products from his knowledge
- The creative phase requires a lot of effort.
Make money with a blog by Offer your services
Once you have established some authority with your blog, offering your services is one of the fastest ways to start making money.
The key is to position yourself as an expert with the content you publish. Over time, you will increase your knowledge yourself, and in the end, you will find many people willing to pay for your services or advice.
The disadvantage is that it is not at all a passive system. In this case, your blog becomes a marketing tool for physical activity.
- The fastest way to start making money with your blog!
- Allows to set high prices
- You will be limited in the number of guests that you can serve.
The sale of your blog, even when you make money, sometimes the best option.
Generally, the sale price of a website is calculated by multiplying by a multiple your monthly turnover, but it depends on your theme and your future expectations.
Even if it is not yet monetized, it is possible to sell your blog if it has good content and traffic. Logically, it is market value will be lower, but it is an alternative.
some people are exclusively dedicated to creating blogs, monetize them, and sell them when they are at the peak of their turnover. And then they repeat the process with another blog. It’s a lifestyle!
It’s a way to make an economic profit if you plan to leave your blog
The conclusion to make money with a blog
Monetizing a blog is easy, the challenge is to create the content and generate traffic so that monetization is profitable. Even if you can not live on it, it can be nice to create a complementary lucrative business.